In general, members can only change benefits once every year during an employer's open enrollment period. The exception to this rule is qualifying life events.
The following qualifying life events would allow you to change your benefits for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents mid-year:
- Marriage or divorce
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Death in the family
- Change in employment status
- Loss of existing health coverage
- Loss of Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP eligibility
- Loss of coverage through a parent’s plan (typically on 26th birthday)
- Changes in household
- Changes in residence
- Changes to income
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Starting or ending AmeriCorps service
- Becoming a member of a federally recognized tribe or an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
Always refer to your Summary Plan Description (SPD) for full details on qualifying life events.
You only have 31 days after a qualifying life event to make changes to your benefits. To get started, log in to your dashboard and select the Benefits tab. Then go to Need to make changes to your benefits.
Once you submit your request, your employer will be contacted for approval. You'll be notified when changes are approved or denied.
If you have any questions please feel free to call us at (833) 726-2123 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.